Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Blue Train and synchronized critting

The Tour de Gap was eventful to say the least. First off, the Paul Tracy Team from Las Vegas was in full force with Louie Amelburu and Mark Schaeffer at the wheel...They brought the A-team, and the team was large... with that I would like to focus on one stage in particular... the crit.

Note- this blog has always been intended to be an observation of racing and racers, not on me, but I must use a first person perspective to give a clear picture of tactics played out perfectly... and this will be done in bullet points for effect...

Paul Tracy shows up with a lot of gunslingers for the 35/45 masters categories.

  • and yes, they are representing with some cat 1's...
  • and yes, they employ great tactics
  • and yes, these riders are willing to sacrifice at anytime for the sake of the team.
  • and yes, these riders are good, very good.
  • and they came with the full aramada of Paul Tracy signifigant others- PTG (Paul Tracy Groupies) generally hanging around the Paul Tracy Mobile and being great fans... to everyone.

To the crit- bottom line this was a lesson in tactics played out to perfection...we will refer to it as synchronized critting. The course was small, tight and fast with a funky corner...encompassing roughly one city block, so you knew where everyone was- and here is where it gets good...follow along...

Scott Allen was sitting in 3rd, and I was in 5th... with P.T. dudes, Louie 1st, Mike Anderson 2nd and Jon Edwards 4th... so what do they do- of course isolate Scott and I... Scott had 2 dudes with him on the break, I had 3 or 4 with me behind... it was like a clock with the little hand going slower than the big one...after a series of attacks they dropped Scott, and he was isolated exactly on the opposite end of the course from me (to the tee as far away as possible) my P.T. men were pacing me appropriately to make this happen, always waiting for Louie and Mike to come around, I knew this, I also knew that here would come the attacks... so I only had one choice, suicide on the bike! I looked back and said to Jim Robbins, "well it looks like I'm dead meat, so I am going to attack until I implode" which I did lap after lap until with perfect timing, just when I popped, all the P.T. guys were together in one big blue train...going fast, very fast...

The point is, any team can show up en-force, but to put it together like that was just poetry in motion, and yes, the other team's riders not mentioned were also strewn all over the course...on top of this there were super savvy tactics and the power to see it through for the other 2 road stages...even though I was on the other end, I respected the hell out of what they were doing...

So for the second time in one week, new members of the Hornet Hall of Fame, the entire Paul Tracy Team and sig... others, Paul, buy 'em each a case of Heinie's for that one... they deserve it!

Tomorrow, Kirsten Kotval, Chuck Collins, the Claw, Don Armstrong, Cat 1,2,3 women and last but not least Andrey Yarbrough.


10 comments:

Piotrek said...

I like the one-unattached-guy -lapping-the-field perfection myself.

B-Horn said...

P-man, I think next time we will bring Marty Nothstein to represent (that's a blast from the past eh?)

Piotrek said...

Jemison is the only "Marty" I remember doing that in the Thursday night worlds (1993?).

B-Horn said...

Ok P-dot braa,

How 'bout a dude named Marty Merckx, now that's the name of a cyclist, quick call Axel to have another kid.

Jagslo said...

Thanks for the compliments. We had a blast. Luckily we had numbers on our side and the cycling gods were watching over us that weekend. You and your team mate were class acts, not to mention strong.
A. Squirrel
Paul Tracy.com

B-Horn said...

Back at ya A.S. I like your blog... and sleep deprevation, damn, been down that road...

Maybe the Discovery team needed J.B. you guys don't...just more money in your pockets bro!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the compliment, we work hard as a team and its great when others notice and recognize it. Your a class act, and I had to give it to you in the crit for attacking over and over. I just sat on your wheel wondering when is this guy going to say enough.And we do not need Johan, we have Louie I wake up at night with him giving me direction. He is a bad man and knows how to race a bike, lover the Cuban missle.

B-Horn said...

Thanks Enforcer, and no doubt Louie can bring the goods but is an excellent tactition (although no doubt you all are) What we need to do is get a few teams with excellent crit riders to show up for the TdG. I will make sure to put the word out throughout the next season that you guys are a force and they better bring the weapons. My only problem with that is it might be more fun to watch the war! Once again thanks for making racing hard and enjoyable... great job again and good luck for the rest of the season.

Chicky said...

Ahh....I love your words hornet. It was a great race and you and Scott fought valiantly for being so outnumbered!....We shall cross swords again sir.

B-Horn said...

For sure Chicky, back at ya, and we look forward to it, thanks.