Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Nice concept.

My friend Abby turned me on to this website yesterday. http://www.freerice.com/

Here is the breakdown- You go onto the site and it gives you a word with four possible definitions. You try to choose the correct def. For each correct answer 20 grains of rice are purchased by the sponsors of the website to go toward the needy via the United Nations World Food Program. You can play as many times as you like and there is a counter to let you know how many grains of rice you have generated for donation each time you play.

It's pretty cool. Yesterday I got on a couple of times, had some fun and earned over a thousand grains of rice. And now I feel wicked smart.... maybe not... my kids thought it was pretty cool (and probably better for them the Guitar Hero 2).

L8'er

B-Horn

5 comments:

DeletedBlog said...

That's cool, you're learning and donating at the same time! sweet!

DeletedBlog said...

my best vocab level is 22

Piotrek said...

Help end world hunger by clicking!

Piotrek said...

I mean clicking on the ads (not just the game) to actually make money available to purchase the rice. The caveat is that if you have no intention of honoring the advertisers, you're kinda stealing from them by clicking (but it's for a good cause!). FYI, freerice.com is not a registered charity so they may keep a sizable profit (nothing wrong with that). If they didn't have a margin they would obviously lower the 10 grains prize to 5 or something.

I know, I'm a party pooper -- making ending world hunger more complicated that it really is. ;-)

Anonymous said...

An easy way to contribute without spending a lot of time and money..thanks.