Thursday, June 14, 2007

Spencer had to be Sherlock with the Tarmac

I got to spend 2.5 hours at Canyon Bicycles in Draper last night as Sherlock and MacGyver (Dave) had to do some serious Freudian analysis on my carbon stallion. Fortunately, the bicycle whisperer's are pretty sharp and patient, or I could have had some serious problems on the climb/descent this weekend. See if you savvy racehards can figure this caper out-

After replacing a worn out chain I-

Did climbing intervals up Little Cottonwood with high and low revs (loading the drive train on the low ones). No problems with shifting between the 17 to 23 in the 39.

After a fast and bumpy descent that shook my dentures out and my toupe off, I hit the flats and shifted from the 53 to the 39 in my 15. I went two revs (with the chain on the the little ring) and my cog set didn't engage, therefore spinning uselessly without moving me forward, I shifted twice up to the 17 and the cogset engaged. This happened again a mile down the road when I went from a higher load to an easier load. I stopped, got of my bike, and the chain was inplace on the cogset and little ring. Got back on, and no problems for the next 25 minutes of steady riding in an easy gear.

Went to the shop where they first adjusted the rear derailleur again, I spun in he parking lot and under load, it did the same spin thing without engaging the cogset and it wasn't catching a cog or two sometimes when shifting. So we replaced the cogset and readjusted. Under load in the parking lot, the same thing happened again. So we thought ok free hub, replaced that, and it got worse under load.

This is when the aaha occured, and the bulb's really went off for Sherlock and MacGyver, 'cause I was stumped. Can you figure this out? They did. One more hint. I ride a 2007 Specialized Tarmac SL factory spec'ed. Big ups to the guys at Canyon they really know the figizzle.

-Good luck with this, I know someone will get it

Hornet.

12 comments:

Dave Harward said...

Sticky pawls?
tranquilo,
dh

B-Horn said...

Nice!

But, I definately know you know it. 'Cause I vaguely remembered either you or AJ told me to replace it ASAP when I got the bike.

Oh and congrats to you and the team, way to lay down the law.

Mistress Julie said...

I'm not sure what this post is all about... parts something something.... cog something something... sounds similar to the teacher in Charlie Brown. Wah wah wah wah wah. :)

I just ride and race bikes. I leave the rest of it to the guys (my heroes) to fix the jacked up stuff. Which reminds me, I have a shock that needs fixing...

B-Horn said...

I knew there was a reason for this rant... to remind you about your shock.

I hope some of those naked bikers in your blog had shocks. I would've had a full suspension mt bike with big slicks on it- if I was to partake in that fest. But there is no way I could look at all those hairy garages from my drops!

Piotrek said...

I found your dentures! Give me a call.

B-Horn said...

Thanks I hope all the teeth are intact this time, I looked like a defenseman for the Red Wings last time.

Mistress Julie said...

Hairy garages??? Blech. On that note, I think it's martini time. Well, not really but it sounds better than bed time.

And what are "sticky pawls?" Parlais anglaise si te plait.

And I got my shock fixed. Yay Ryan!!! I'm ripping at high elevation on Saturday. 100 in the valley is too much for the Mistress. See you up there? No dentures required.

Piotrek said...

New kid on the block and look at all the comments.

B-Horn said...

Parlez vous Francais? Here is the first French song I learned Miss Julie. Remember I was only 8 at the time.

Un, deux, trois, quatre, cinq, six, sept, Violet sous bicyclette!

Sorry P-man my Polish is pretty lame, even more so than my French, and English for that matter.

Clintster said...

je ne parle pas francais

B-Horn said...

Monsieur Carter, sure it isn't Cartier.

Clintster said...

I'm sure!